This policy was reviewed and approved by the OCC Board of Directors on November 25, 2004
The Oakville Children's Choir (OCC) is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information respecting our choristers and alumni, their families, our employees, board, supporters, donors and subscribers, by adhering to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). The following policy outlines the OCC's commitment to maintaining the privacy of your information and the OCC's responsibility for the personal information under its control.
Collection of Information
- Members –The OCC obtains information from choristers and their families in order to conduct its regular operations (including, but not limited to rehearsals, concerts, touring and events) and to provide a safe environment for the choristers. All information gathered is necessary for the registration process and for the daily operations related to the choristers. As minors, the information is collected from parents or legal guardians on behalf of the chorister. Examples of information collected about choristers and their families includes, but is not limited to: name, address, phone numbers, email addresses, parent and guardian relationships, medical information, financial information (bursary only) and permission forms.
- Others –The OCC also collects information from supporters, donors, board members, volunteers and subscribers for the purpose of fundraising, ticket sales, mailings and to conduct the day-to-day operations of the choir Business. Contact information and publicly available information such as names, addresses and telephone numbers as published in telephone directories, are not considered personal information.
Collection and disclosure of information
- The OCC seeks consent before it collects, uses or discloses information and will not disclose this information other than what would be reasonably expected in the course of business.
- The OCC will use the personal information obtained from prospective choristers, alumni, supporters, donors, board members, volunteers and subscribers only for the purposes for which it was collected and will not disclose the information for other purposes unless required by law.
- All personal information provided to the OCC will be maintained in a secure manner to ensure that its use is limited to the purposes for which it was collected. Information is entered into the OCC database and is only accessed by authorized staff and is secured and password protection.
- Individuals will have access to their personal information at any time through the Privacy Officer.
Adherence to Professional Standards
The Oakville Children's Choir agrees to abide by the standards laid out in the Association of Fundraising Professionals' Ethical Fundraising and Accountability Code and to uphold the Association of Fundraising Professionals' Donor's Bill of Rights. Both of which are attached to this policy for reference and available on the OCC website home page at www.oakvillechildrenschoir.org
Limits on retention of information
- Name, address, and chorister history will form a permanent record which will be retained by the OCC for the purpose of alumni use only. All health and personal information not required for alumni purposes will be destroyed when no longer required. Information will be retained for the period of time defined by the chorister registration period then destroyed in a secure manner within 12 months following the choristers' withdrawal from the OCC.
- Other information will be retained by the OCC for the periods required by contract or by legislation governing our operation and/or the information provided. If there is no legislative or contractual requirement to retain other information it will be kept for 12 months from the time it was provided, then securely destroyed.
The OCC will take all steps to protect personal information in a secure manner from theft, loss, unauthorized access and disclosure. The OCC will ensure that all information is destroyed in a secure manner. OCC Staff, Board, and volunteers will be informed of the privacy.
If you have any questions or concerns about your personal privacy or wish to challenge the OCC's compliance, please contact the OCC's Privacy Officer:
The Oakville Children's Choir