Order Oakville Children's Choir CDs Online
The Place of the Blest
This CD includes "The Place of the Blest" cantata by American composer Randall Thompson (1899-1984) and another twelve seasonal songs making it a well- rounded addition to the holiday season. It features the Senior and Chamber Choirs with Sheldon Rose and Janet Stachow, Accompanists.
The Place of the Blest is considered one of the cornerstones of the Treble Voice Cantata repertoire.
Randall Thompson (1899-1984) is distinguished as one of America's most beloved composers. His choral music is considered timeless: music that is well crafted with harmonic freedom and beautiful melodic lines.
This four-movement work uses texts that were apparently favourites of Thomson's: poetry by Robert Herrick (movements 1 and 3) and the final movement, which is an extended meditation on his favourite work, "Alleluia".
The second movement is an excerpt from a 12th century bestiary based on the ancient myth of a pelican: an allegory on the victory of restorative love, which is the foundation of the Christmas message. It is unabashedly rich in drama and metrical sophistication. The unusual text of the Pelican hardly seems appropriate for the Christmas season, yet its urgency gives way to the joy and beauty of the final Alleluia.
The Alleluia concludes this outstanding work with beautifully crafted polyphonic melodic lines that display Thompson's exemplary writing for treble voices.
- The Place of the Blest (Randall Thompson)
Part 1: Carol of the Rose [5:45]
- Part 2: The Pelican [6:55]
- Part 3: The Place of the Blest [4:41]
- Part 4: Alleluia, Amen [6:01]
- Elizabeth's Ave: Lana Walter [2:12]
- Frobisher Bay, James Gordon*, arr. Tamarack* [4:14]
- There is no Rose, Z. Randall Stroope [5:49]
- Hodie Christus natus est, Giovanni Pierfuigi da Palestrina [2:05]
- Jesus Child: John Rutter [2:34]
- Stopping By Woods On a Snowy Evening, Vera Kistler [2:47]
- Quittez Pasteurs (Come, Shepherds, Come), French Carol, arr. Derek Holman* [3:36]
- The Friendly Beasts, Traditional Carol, arr. Lee R. Kesselman [3:42]
- Rise Up, Shepherd, and Follow! Spiritual, arr. Joan Whittemore [2:17]
- Nuttin' For Christmas, R. Bennet*, S. Tepper, arr. Carl Stommen [1:38]
- Somewhere in My Memory, John Williams, arr. Terre McPheeters [3:04]
- Carol, Singers, Carol! Linda Spevacek-Avery [1:48]
Total Playing Time: 59:32
* Canadian composer, arranger
- The Place of the Blest (Randall Thompson)
Celebrating 10 Years
Released on the occasion of the choir's tenth anniversary, this CD is a compilation of highlights from a decade of concerts. All choirs are included from the youngest Cherubs to the talented Chamber choristers. This is a delightful collection showcasing the essential treble clef choral repertoire including many Canadian works.
Released on the occasion of the choir's tenth anniversay, this CD is a compilation of highights from a decade of concerts. All choirs are included from the youngest Cherubs to the talented Chamber choristers. This is delightful collection showcasing the classics of the treble clef choral repertoire including many Canadian works.
- She's Like the Swallow: Arr. by Eleanor Daley [4:21]
- Salve Regina: Miklós Kocsár [3:22]
- Cantate Domino: Rupert Lang [4:13]
- Wood River: Connie Kaldor & Willi Zwozdesky [4:20]
- It was a Lover and His Lass: John Rutter [2:27]
- Dôme Épais: Léo Delibes [2:25]
- A Great Big Sea: Robert Fleming [1:54]
- Petty Harbour Bait Skiff: Arr. by Marcella Osmond [4:09]
- Canticle to the Spirit: Eleanor Daley [1:58]
- I'se the B'y: Arr. by John Govedas [2:24]
- White Butterflies: Kenneth Bray [1:41]
- Agnus Dei: Nancy Telfer [2:19]
- Red (from Adventures in Color): Ruth Watson Henderson [1:25]
- Blue (from Adventures in Color): Ruth Watson Henderson [3:18]
- On Surri Sun Rantas Autius: Matti Hyökki [2:06]
- Mary Had a Little Blues: Charles Collins [2:34]
- Don't You Ever Squeeze a Weasel: Ruth Watson Henderson [0:44]
- Ching A Ring Chaw: Aaron Copland [1:41]
- Path to the Moon: Eric H. Thiman [2:07]
- Scat Cat: Mira & Michael Coghlan [3:49]
- Linden Lea: Ralph Vaughan Williams [2:24]
- There Once was a Puffin: Cyril Hampshire [1:15]
- The Ferry Man: Marjorie Helyer [1:25]
- My Dog Spot: Clifford Curwin [1:12]
- Lullaby: Nancy Telfer [2:15]
- My Caterpillar: Marilyn Broughton [1:40]
- Jerusalem: Charles Perry [2:05]
- The Fate of Gilbert Gim: Margaret Drynan [1:33]
- Four is Wonderful: Ruth Watson Henderson [1:05]
- Spread Some Sunshine: Donna Amorosia [2:28]
- The Garden Song: Dave Mallet and Mac Huff [3:40]
Total Playing Time: 76:13
Poets, Philosophers, & Friends
This CD celebrates the union of words and music with 19 songs of beautiful poetry, profound words of praise and compelling stories set to extraordinary music. It features the Senior Choir with Janet Stachow Accompanist.
This CD contains 19 songs of beautiful poetry, profound words of praise and compelling stories married to extraordinary music. Pieces range from simple melodies, to dramatic renderings of well-known literary works. Seven songs by Canadian composers are included. It features the Senior Choir with Janet Stachow Accompanist.
- Jubilate Deo: Michael Braz [3:28]
- Snow: John E. Govedas [2:36]
- The Dragon: Nancy Telfer [5:37]
- As I Hear the Sweet Lark Sing: Richard DeLong [2:36]
- Psalm 23: Franz Schubert [4:43]
- Spring Wind: Eric H. Thiman [2:10]
- Jabberwocky: John E. Govedas [3:20]
- If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking: Libby Larsen [2:57]
- O Music: David L. Brunner [5:45]
- Ask the Moon: Ron Nelson [3:54]
- Simple Song: Leonard Bernstein [4:35]
- Gentle Jesus: Jack Lorne Hodd [2:23]
- The Lamb: Mark Sirett [3:31]
- Motherless Child: Nancy Grundahl [3:31]
- Hold Fast Your Dreams: David L. Brunner[3:09]
- A Distant Shore: Mary Donelly & George L.O. Strid [2:26]
- The Old Woman in a Basket: Lana Walter [2:41]
- An Irish Blessing: Eleanor Daley [2:38]
- Shiru: Allan E. Naplan [2:47]
Total Playing Time: 60:25
Home For the Holidays
This CD includes a varied selection of Christmas and Holiday favourintes ranging from carols like "Away in a Manger" to popular classics such as "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". It features the Chamber Choir with Sheldon Rose Accompanist.
This CD includes a varied selection of Christmas and Holiday favourites ranging from carols like "Away in a Manger" to popular classics such as "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". It features the Chamber Choir with Sheldon Rose Accompanist.
from Wholenote , Volume 8, #4:
This young choir...is as sweet voiced and meticulous as one could wish in this recording of many winter songs and a few Christmas ones. Their command of dynamics is admirable, and they are blessed in Sheldon Rose with an accompanist a bit above the average.
- Take a Winter Walk with Me: Mary Donnelly & George Strid [2:40]
- Mid-Winter: Bob Chilcott [3:40]
- Dashing Through the Snow: James Pierpont [1:30]
- Away in a Manger: W.J. Kirkpatrick [2:20]
- Jesus Child: John Rutter [2:44]
- The Snow's Gotta Go!: Sammy Cahn, Julie Styne, Mac Huff [3:49]
- The Birds: Benjamin Britten [1:53]
- The Virgin's Slumber Song: Max Reger [1:52]
- Dancing Day: John Rutter [3:22]
- Bless'd be the Day: G.F. Handel [1:56]
- This Little Babe: Benjamin Britten [1:40]
- Winter's in the Air: Jill Galina [2:06]
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Hugh Martin & Ralph Blane [3:39]
- It's Snowing! Arr. by Hillary Kinsale [3:19]
- Home for the Holidays: Al Stillman & Robert Allen [2:53]